THE LIVING PLANET AQUARIUM SCIENCE LEARNING CENTER
A state-of-the-art, 80,000 square foot facility, the new Science Learning Center will include a five-story Asian Cloud Forest Habitat & Endangered Species Conservation Center, interactive science stations and exhibits, high-tech laboratories and classrooms, a Science Entrepreneur Incubator, conference and banquet spaces, and more. The Science Learning Center will be a community resource that benefits K-12 and university students, as well as Aquarium members and guests. Advanced classrooms and laboratories will provide innovative resources, helping students learn about multiple scientific fields and pursue careers in marine biology, ecology, genetics, biology, chemistry, and more.
The crown jewel of the Science Learning Center will be a five-story Asian Cloud Forest habitat. This beautiful habitat will showcase rare and endangered Asian animals, including a pair of Clouded leopards. The quarter-acre conservatory will also be home to Asian small-clawed otters, Binturongs, and various species of Asian birds, reptiles, and fish, and will serve as the hub of the Aquarium’s participation in Species Survival Plan breeding programs in partnership with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
The Cloud Forest habitat will include:
- A multi-story experience with access to exhibits on the forest floor, mid-story, and canopy areas
- A breeding center for Clouded leopards, Asian small-clawed otters, and other animals in the AZA Species Survival Plan program
- Homes for future species including Komodo dragons, cloud forest birds, and giant Asian fish
- State-of-the-art animal care labs and nurseries
Guests to the Science Learning Center will explore science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics through thematically-linked, hands-on experiences.
Interactive exhibit clusters will include:
- Plate tectonics and formation of geological features
- Ocean currents and weather patterns
- Recycled material sculpture creation
- Animal care and conservation
- Weather and climate
Equipped with cutting-edge technology suitable for use by local research institutions, these high-tech labs are designed for high school and university-level courses in marine biology, chemistry, genetics, and oceanography and will increase the Aquarium’s educational reach to hundreds of thousands of students.
Offering science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)-focused programming for K-12 and university students as well as lifelong learners, the Science Learning Center’s classrooms will be captivating, habitat-themed spaces including rainforests, tide pools, and an Antarctic research station.
The Aquarium and Campus will further its commitment to a sustainable future by offering an entrepreneur incubator office space within the Science Learning Center. This space will be open to local startups and nonprofits with a focus on sustainable technology, conservation, and science research and development.
The Science Learning Campus will feature a unique banquet and conference center. This incredible facility will support animal care, conservation efforts, and operational costs and allow the Science Learning Campus and Aquarium to continue running without an operational subsidy.
Conference space features:
- Grand ballroom with space for up to 1,000 seated guests featuring a private viewing window into the Asian Cloud Forest Gallery
- Flexible configurations to accommodate everything from large banquets to small breakout sessions
- On-site catering featuring a sustainable menu with locally-sourced ingredients
- A private viewing window into the Asian Cloud Forest Gallery
- Full access to indoor and outdoor exhibits
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST